Last night I put all my favorite things in a skillet and magic happened.
Chicken thighs are poached in red wine yet crispy on top, mushrooms and tomatoes and olives all melt together, and we only have to wash one pan! This barely misses the under-30-minutes trophy, but the hands-on time is less than half that. After just one round, this is definitely making it onto our weeknight dinner rotation!
That crispy crispy skin. ❤
The marinade is really key in getting that gorgeous golden brown. You know it’s getting there when the oil sizzles and splatters a little, but don’t touch until time is up… this is when we’re getting all the crunch on there.
This would be so good over rice to soak up the red wine sauce, but it’s satisfying and enough on its own. This makes four big, heaping servings at just over 300 calories each! Which leaves lots of room for sharing the rest of the wine and leftover chocolate candy dessert, just as it should be.
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1 T. balsamic vinegar
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 t. thyme
- ½ t. salt
- 4 chicken thighs, bone-in
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 12 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 10 oz. cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup kalamata olives, pitted & halved
- ½ cup red wine
- Whisk together 2 T. olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, 2 cloves garlic, ½ t. thyme, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Toss chicken thighs to coat evenly and marinate for 20 minutes.
- Heat 1 T. olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt & pepper, then add to skillet skin-down and cook until golden, about 5 minutes, without disturbing. Flip and repeat, then remove chicken to a plate.
- Drain any excess fat from the skillet, then add onion and remaining garlic. Cook until soft, then stir in remaining thyme.
- Add mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, and wine, scraping the bottom of the skillet. Bring to a simmer.
- Return chicken thighs to the skillet skin-up and press down into the skillet so only the crisp top is exposed.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes, until center of chicken is fully cooked. Serve hot!